A Jewish stance on the Middle East, 1978 to 2016

Stuart reading the prayers before being Bar Miztvahed, 1978

Stuart and his family after the ceremony, 1978

The rabbi, Stuart, and his father reading from the Torah, 1978  

Stuart reading the Torah, 1978

Me, my brother, and my father, Stuart, 2003

Taylor, Stuart, and my mother at a wedding in London, England, 1996


My father spent the summer after his 13th birthday touring the middle east and being Bar Mitzvahed, and I wanted to understand how he felt about the middle east back then, and today, both as a Jew, and an American. This is what he said.
"At the time, Jimmy Carter was president, and we stayed at King David hotel in Jerusalem. The week before in June of 1978, the President was staying at that hotel and there were bomb threats we were staying at only a week before that. It was scary because at the time, the middle east was like this; Egypt and Israel, they were at odds. And Palestine was not yet a state so they were very terrorist and there was a lot going on, everyone hated the Jews. I went to be bar mitzvahed at the Western Wall and tour the country. The Western Wall was the only one standing of the temple in Jerusalem. It was the only thing left of the great temple. Tent parties were all the rage back then, so that’s what was done for my brother. My parents, they wanted something different so they decided a cruise around the Greek islands was different and so I had a smaller party without the tent and spent their money on the tour of the islands and Jerusalem. So, they spent their money on that. It was an interesting trip, something I’ve never done before and haven’t done since. Yes, I’d do it again if things were more peaceful in the world. The thing is though, people don’t know why they hate Jews. There raised and born into hatred, and they are taught to hate this group of people. It’s not even because a Jewish person did something to them. They think it’s because of something that happened 2000 years ago, if you pull anyone aside and ask them what they have against someone Jewish, they wouldn’t know the answer. Hating Jews is a scapegoat. I’ve learned to accept it as a fact, at the same time protecting myself and my family. I tell people about me being Jewish once I get to know and trust them. It’s for safety reasons; I protect myself and my children from ridicule and bullying and prejudice. I have a pride towards it, but at the same time, I don’t go around wearing a shirt that says I’m Jewish because I’m protective. That should be worth something.  I went to the 13 stations of the cross, where Jesus dragged the cross and wore the thorns. We went to the Arab Market in Jerusalem, it was very mecca. There were people of every religion everywhere, despite the terrorist threats at the time. I wouldn’t go back there now, regardless of being a Jew.  A lot of guards were there, just ready. There was sense of terror and unrest and unsafe in the cities. There was terror for everyone, not just Jews. The sense of terrorism was present whenever we were in the city. You see the army always ready. We traveled through countryside in masques and it was relatively safe, at the time. We swam in the Dead Sea and the Red Sea. We also went water skiing in Galilee, we felt safe there in the countryside, but not in the city. Egypt wanted to crush Israel at the time, there was definitely war back them. We were surrounded by hatred. A lot of what we saw, were churches and masques and ruins. The fear we felt at the time, wasn’t even just directed at Israel. In general, everyone was afraid. There was a sense that they can attack you on your own soil. Airplanes used to be fairly safe and now I fear for traveling, I wouldn’t go back to Israel. The goal on this trip was to do what we had to do, and get home safely. We went through Egypt, but only certain areas because it wasn’t safe; certain places they didn’t let tourists visit. At the time, I felt they were not an ally, so I kind of felt like I should enjoy the monuments and countryside in the short time we were there and then get out quickly. In and out, we were stealthy like that.  I feel a sense of pride being Jewish, one the smartest intellects but beyond that, there’s probably sense of lack of security because terrorism can pop up everywhere so I would say there’s a sense of pride for being in the best country in the world. But beyond that, there’s a sense of ‘I need to go on with my life but this isn’t the safest place to live as a Jew. You’re a target because Palestinians target Jews.’ In fact, most of our neighboring countries target the Jews. So, there is definitely pride there, but a sense of reality is needed." 

No comments

Powered by Blogger.