The Culture of Iran and its People: A Story of my Fathers Immigration Process


THE CULTURE OF IRAN AND ITS PEOPLE
A story that resulted from my fathers immigration process from Iran to the United States 
By: Auva Dariani 

The country of Iran is located in the continent of Asia and shares borders with Turkey, Iraq, Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, and Pakistan.  Tehran is the capital city, full of people, businesses, parks and gardens, and sights to see.  In fact, Tehran is the most populated city in Iran and the third largest metropolitan area in the Middle East.  Overall though, the country of Iran is full of rich history and beautiful sights to see.  Fortunately for me, I have had the opportunity to visit the country twice.  During my first trip to Iran, I was only three years old so I was too young to create any vivid memories.  However, almost seven years ago though, I had the opportunity to visit Iran again with my mother and sister.  During this trip, I had the opportunity to visit family members who I hadn’t seen in years, go sightseeing, eat authentic Iranian food, and learn more about Iranian culture.
Taken in Darband Iran. My family enjoying lunch on the Alborz Mountains. 

While visiting Iran, it was a must to visit a bazaar. Bazaars in Iran are outdoor markets that are extremely crowded but represent the culture of Iran so perfectly. In a bazaar you can find food, clothes, toys, and perfect touristy gifts. I found it extremely interesting that many store owners were able to instantly recognize that I was an Iranian-American. I was at first unaware as to why many people in the bazaar kept looking at my sister and I as if we were celebrities. My cousin informed me that it was very easy to tell Iranian-American apart from the crowd just by the accent we had while speaking Farsi and also by the way we dressed. Dress code in Iran was one of the biggest challenges that my sister and I endured while we were visiting Iran. My family visited Iran during the months of July and August and similarly to the United States, it is extremely hot during those months. In Iran the weather can tend to be extremely humid and dry accompanied by extremely high temperatures. Iranian woman must obey the set dress code, which involves covering your hair and body. Being covered up in 100-degree weather is extremely tough especially for my sister and I who have not adjusted to the dress code and weather. To make the experience more challenging, there were many restaurants, malls, and building that we visited that had no air conditioning. It was sometimes a challenge for my mom to get my sister and I out of the house because of how dramatically hot the weather was.
My sister and I in Tehran Iran on a hot afternoon.
One of the best moments I have from visiting Iran included getting to eat authentic Iranian food. After a 14-hour flight to Iran, the first meal that my sister and I wanted to eat was Chelloh Kebab, also commonly known as Shish kebab in the United States. The kebab in Iran is one of the reasons I would recommend any of my American friends to visit. My family and I visited a restaurant in a town known as Darband. Darband is located in the Alborz Mountains and had many beautiful restaurants that were built upon the mountains. One specific restaurant that my family visited was built on the side of the mountain and had some of the best Iranian food that I have ever had. While visiting Iran I also had the chance to visit the Shah’s palace. It was such a beautiful and historical site that expressed and had a lot of culture. The visit to the shah’s palace reminded me of that beauty that lies within the old architecture in Iran. Iran is also known for it detailed and stunning Persian rugs. The art that these rugs portray shows a glimpse at how Iranian culture can be portrayed in many ways.
This picture was taken one week before my father came to the United States. He is standing with his mom (right) and his aunt (left)

My father was born and raised in Tehran Iran and came to the United States at the age of 20. My father traveled to Iran a couple years before the Iranian revolution unfolded. My father came to the United States in order to pursue his education at Columbia University. He had plans on returning to Iran after completing his studies but did not do so because he did not want to risk being enlisted in the army because at the time Iran was at war with Iraq. While staying in the United States he was able to meet his wife and create a family. My dad has been in the United States for almost 40 years now. He is a proud to be an Iranian-American and has passed on his family traditions and culture to my sister and I. Ever year are family celebrates Norooz, the Iranian New Year. During Norooz we set up a table called a haftseen. The haftseen is a table that includes the seven symbols of life that all begin with the letter ‘S’. One of the seven items includes putting change or cash on the table. The money is put on the table in order to resemble a wish to have good wealth within the upcoming year. 
My father Behrooz Dariani after arriving in New York City in 1978


Every Norooz we set up a haftseen as shown in this picture.
My father has experienced some challenges while being in the United States including not being able to see his brothers and mother as frequently as he would like. In order to visit Iran from the United States you must take two different flights because there are no direct flights. The travel is also extremely long and for my grandparents it can be a struggle because it is extremely tiring. In order for my family to visit the United States they are required to have an American Visa, however, it is extremely hard to get. The process can take up to several years and it isn’t even guaranteed because it is a lottery process. If travel to the United States we easier for my family in Iran I think there would be less challenges for my family here.

My father holding a picture of him and his parents taken when he was one years old in Tehran, Iran.


Iran is a beautiful country and has developed greatly in every aspect. There have been major improvements in technology and education throughout the years. There has also been an increase in tourists who have been visiting Iran. There is sometimes a negative portrayal of the country over media and it may scare people away who are eager to travel. Iran has shown its beauty through its people and its culture and with time I hope travel and relations between the United States and Iran improve.

Consent for Pictures and Videos was given by Behrooz Dariani: 

No comments

Powered by Blogger.