The Middle East and Sports

Janet Shin Section 2
Question: What are your views on this picture of an Olypmic match between the German and Egyptian women’s volleyball team?

Joseph, 19. Sophmore at Rutgers SAS
This is an interesting photo. It sort of seems like two different time periods even though it was taken this past summer. I am a volleyball player and I actually went to Egypt last summer with a cultural exchange organization. So this image is actually relateable to me in many ways. I spent about two weeks there learning about the culture and people of Egypt. I mean of course there is a limit to how much you can see in just two weeks, but it was very eye opening. This picture is sort of a physical representation of what I saw. As someone from America it is easy to be ignorant and label this as old-fashioned or not reformed… but we must acknowledge and realize this is their culture. Being a Muslim entails certain traditions and customs such as wearing a hijab. By saying this is unfair to the Egyptian lady or other negative opinions, is not respecting this part of the Islamic culture. By choice and by her beliefs, the Egyptian volleyball player chose to dress in this manner and we must respect that. Of course the Egyptian team might be put in a disadvantage due to their dress, since it is probably hotter and heavier than what the German team is wearing, but I don’t think I’m in the place to judge or say anything about that.






No comments

Powered by Blogger.